Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Poetry: Sonnet of West to East

For today's prompt NaPoWriMo asked us to write a pastoral or nature poem in honor Earth Day. I decided to write a Shakespearean sonnet about how I moved from the west coast to the east coast.

Sonnet of West to East
By Brittany M.
 
I said my farewells to redwoods and coons,
Wandered Pacific beaches one last time,
Flew like a bird over snowcapped Mount Hood,
And trekked cliffs spotted with bright lichen lime.
Disappeared into wet Siskiyou caves,
Ventured through rainforests covered in mists,
Laid in thick loam and observed how clouds crave
For Spring’s yearly entrance and fragrant kiss.
Traveled west to east, a reverse unseen,
Went from nature back to cultivation,
Left pastoral and passed unmarked in between
Boarders and miles of populous nations.
Through my tear stained face, I said my goodbyes
And pointed my toes east with head held high.

No comments:

Post a Comment