Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Day 2 #Napowrimo - Laying Down to Waste

Here's day two of National Poetry Month. You can find the prompt I used here.

Laying Down to Waste 

When it rained (which was (almost) everyday), 
the gravel road flowed like a river of mud; 
all the bits of fine rock washed away into the creek bed. 
What would be left was hard packed earth, boulders 
rounding out of the road like animal heads rearing, 
nudging the air. Born from the waste of the storm. 
Streaks of clay, like veins of blood connected them 
like a map. And I would walk, regardless of the wet 
dampening my socks and sneakers or mud kicking up 
on my pants. I would walk on the washed road beneath 
the canopy of leaning trees. I would brush by the shoulders 
of ferns and the bushes of sal al. My youth filled with acres, 
evergreens, lush and wet, dense forest. I knew it better 
than the city folk knew the cracks in their sidewalks 
or the flicker of the street light down the avenue. 

And even now that I live in the city, I still listen 
for the hoot of the owl or the rustle of racoon; 
I open my window, I open my ears, but all I hear 
is the roar of I-5, the sound of tires rushing 
against the gray barriers of the freeway. I cannot 
smell the resin of the cedars or redwoods rising; 
only the burn of asphalt. The laying down of tar, 
in the early morning. The men at work, hands 
clad in leather gloves, their signs that say yield. 
Yield the trees into wood chips; lay down 
the roots of bitumen; sow the fields with concrete; 
open the maw of mud and flatten it with machines. 
Not the rain, but a flood could wash all of it away. 

6 comments:

  1. Especially appreciate: "...The men at work, hands
    clad in leather gloves, their signs that say yield.
    Yield the trees into wood chips; lay down
    the roots of bitumen; sow the fields with concrete;
    open the maw of mud and flatten it with machines. " Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Although Crow was out and about in the city this morning. (K)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful images with much power.
    My youth filled with acres,
    evergreens, lush and wet, dense forest/
    open the maw of mud and flatten it with machines.
    An amazing word choice: maw...love the image. There is a sadness to this piece, melancholy. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Born from the waste of the storm./Streaks of clay, like veins of blood connected them/like a map."

    Excellent imagery!

    ReplyDelete