Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Day 1 #Napowrimo Contained

Over here on the west coast, it's still March, but #NationalPoetryMonth has begun on east coast time!

Here is my first poem of April in response to the prompt here:

Contained

My life, the sum of filling
a box. Assembled and paper
tape stretched across.
I place inside the objects of 
myself; heart, lungs, limbs. Box,
a vital organ growing bone, 
skeleton, frame; meat hung 
on butterflies of hips,
the pianos of rib cages.
Brown cardboard creased
like the angles of armpits.
Corrugated like physical
sound waves. The word 
box in my mouth, dry,
empty, my body a box:
My life contained
or ripped open with a knife.




6 comments:

  1. Loved it esp. these lines:
    "Corrugated like physical
    sound waves. The word
    box in my mouth, dry,
    empty, my body a box:
    My life contained"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the ambiguity of that ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a powerful piece. And these lines in particular:

    meat hung on butterflies of hips/ The word box in my mouth, dry/ My life contained or ripped open with a knife.

    ReplyDelete