Saturday, April 4, 2020

Day 4 #Napowrimo - Dream Sequence

I was able to work on this poem during my Shut Up & Write meetup that is every Saturday morning. Shut Up & Write has been a great motivator to write for a solid hour. I glues me to my chair!

I wrote the following poem for #napowrimo for the day 4 prompt posted on the linked site. Have a great weekend and don't binge watch too much Netflix! Stay safe, healthy and sane. 

Dream Sequence 

This moment is cultural as I bend to take a sip 
from the alloy pool, the puddle formed of closures. 
Door knobs melted down, brass locks, silver keys, 
the sounds of deadbolts deadening. A foot, 
a finger caught between door and threshold, 
the pinch and bruise; my body parts wedged 
to keep the world open. I take the click 
of my car unlocking, its lights flashing, a warning. 
I melt that down until brass, silver, and steel 
burn bright and mercurial. Every automatic door 
that no longer opens and the empty parking lots, 
the shorter store hours, the street lights flickering. 
Closed gates in all of their wrought iron glory.  

I sip from the alloy pool, the playgrounds 
and monkey bars, wrapped in yellow police tape 
as if every park in the country held a crime, 
a murder, a mystery. I melt them down, too. 
All the tin roofs and mail boxes and pennies 
I find discarded on the sidewalks. All the handshakes 
not given or taken, my keys jingling a cue  
to hurry through the grocery stores, get what is  
needed. Don’t speak, don’t open the mouth, 
form fists, not in rage, but to stop 
the touch, touch, touch. I melt that down too  
and sip from the alloy pool. 


1 comment:

  1. monkey bars, wrapped in yellow police tape / Every automatic door
    that no longer opens and the empty parking lots,

    Love these images.

    ReplyDelete