Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Day 15 #napowrimo - day 9 #the100dayproject - Gnossiennes No. 1

Today, I wrote about music, which has always been my inspiration for poetry. Not a day has gone by in my life that music has not been a part of me, physically in me. I remember taking the small key board my brother gave to me when I was four and I started playing full songs by ear. Key by key, I taught myself to listen to sound, the rhythm, the melody and harmony and the piano became my tool for music. It was only when my music teachers started forcing me to learn theory that my obsession and passion died. I was listening to Erik Satie, and it always reminds me of the day my music died.



Gnossiennes No. 1

I learned
music with my ears,
with the vibration on my skin,
the calluses on my fingertips
as I played between
the mysteries and spaces,
between tune and key.
At one time,
I was free
in the landscape of sound,
curving my ear around
the shape of harmony.
But then,
they saw my talent
and forced me to make music
with my eyes. Overnight
I became
a displaced person
in a foreign country
unable to speak
the language
of my oppressor.
I could not feel
the whole or half note.
Music
forced onto staffs
and the little flags on notes,
into a form that I could
                            not translate.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely, bitter sweet piece./ Music
    forced onto staffs
    and the little flags on notes,
    into a form that I could
    not translate./ Those little flags....

    ReplyDelete