Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Poem: Litter #the100dayproject Day 65

Here's day 65 of #the100dayproject

Litter 

I want to lie my spine down onto the grass one notch at a time 
let the grass prick my skin like a million needles 
let the bugs crawl on me. I cannot flinch. 
To flinch assumes I have a self. That I am separate. 
I want to have no self. I want to discard it 
like the fast food bag, the gum wrapper 
blowing in the wind beneath the oak tree. 
I am the garbage can turned over, left open to the wind. 
I am the pieces of shattered glass and the plastic bottle 
floating in the gutter. Each day I lose my buoyancy, 
I crumble into a finer dust. I am the refuse  
forgotten or thrown out. I am the paper disintegrating into the grass. 
My body takes its time, but I will return to the earth, 
piece by piece, bone by bone. I am nothing more 
than the newspapers moving like tumbleweeds in the wind. 
I am the hand that does the tossing, the tossing that shames the hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment