Friday, June 21, 2019

Poem: Disturbed #the100dayproject Day 81

Disturbed

It’s not enough the world keeps spinning 
that the grass continues to grow 
insisting on its tassels, pollen and seeds. 
It’s not enough the river current still flows 
and spills its fresh water into the ocean 
or that my mouth keeps moving 
regardless of what you have to say. 
It’s not enough that summer will end 
just as my life will end someday. 
I want more than the things I already know. 
I crave surprise, demand the unexpected, 
yet I want my body to acknowledge 
that I keep opening up my eyes each morning. 
I want gratitude, but nothing is enough 
when I want more than this, more than enough. 
I want to hold my potential, hold it close to my eye 
like a see-through marble that I can find inside 
exactly what I’m capable of in my short life. 
I want to see through time as if it were sunlight, 
then I could walk into it like a veil or pull it back 
to reveal all of the things that I’ve been wanting, 
maybe I could finally understand all of this wanting, 
this angry heart that runs faster than my body can keep up, 
this unsettled blood in me, always recycling want after want, 
It's not enough to know my body is a deep, deep well, 
and my sediment has unsettled and turned my waters 
into a stream of whitewater stained iron black. 

No comments:

Post a Comment