Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Poem: Suspense #the100dayproject Day 58

There was a rain storm today while I was commuting back home from a long day at work. The kind of storm that rattles and stomps on the cars and the road. I love a good rain storm.

Suspense

I love driving through a rain storm 
the rhythm of the wipers back and forth,
the splatter of raindrops hitting my car,
a symphony of percussion through the cabin 
louder than the music on the radio. 

I love the danger, the slippery roads 
the anticipation of gripping the wheel 
as I remember when I first white knuckled 
the steering wheel of the first car I ever drove 
as my mother told me how to move through the rain. 

Keep your distance. Don’t turn on cruise control. 
If you hydroplane, grip the wheel, don’t brake, ease off the gas. 

I love the feeling of hydroplaning, the fall, the slide,
the suspended motion even for a few seconds 
gravity switches off and time holds its breath. 
It’s the same feeling as surfing rapids in a river, 
the water catches the boat in its glassy wave, 

grabs hold of its edges with the bow pointed upriver, 
it feels like flying, gliding, a dangerous freedom. 
The river can do with us whatever it desires, 
there is no control, all we can do is grip the paddle
and hope that after it all, we find ourselves right side up.

No comments:

Post a Comment