Thursday, May 23, 2019

Poem: Damages #the100dayproject Day 52


Damages

The wind didn’t blow that day, it didn’t need to,  
every step I took kicked up orange dust  
coated my blue jeans into a landscape. 
Even as I found my clothes ravaged and unzipped, 
the sky compelled me to move beyond the mirage, 
its blueness a hypnotic pattern I could decipher 
when my lips cracked as dry as the earth 
and the blood beneath my nails flaked off. 
I tread the dunes like a swimmer treads water; 
I swam to the middle of its vast lake 
and found myself exposed, uncontained. 
Bruises could be covered up, ignored, unnoticed. 
A coyote with its warm teeth and parched mouth 
its predatory lurk, hid behind the mirage 
it could pick me off and my body, my blood  
would blend in with the color of the desert. 
There wasn’t a single place to hide, 
no rock or bush to grab a hold of, 
nothing to assure myself I was still skin 
and bone, that water was my greatest percentage, 
that my lost soul is the same as my lost body 
and my skin was a curtain, when I pulled it back 
it revealed that I was only human. 

No comments:

Post a Comment