Monday, April 8, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 8...WIP

I work as a supply chain manager for an aerospace company and the first word you learn in supply chain is WIP. What is their current WIP? How has their WIP changed? What operation is their WIP at? Can we expedite their WIP status? 

Alas, I am a WIP, a Work In Process, I cannot be expedited.

WIP 

I am a WIP, work in process. 
My body is not designed to sit 
beneath florescent lights, 
my complexion only pales. 
My loud laugh cannot fit 
inside these cubicle walls, 
nor my black tongue self 
my fucks, shits uncontained 
in a pinstripe skirt and suit. 
I am not a lady in the office. 

I am a WIP, work in process. 
My ears sensitive to the fax 
machine’s dial tone and the 
smell of toner burning my nose. 
My tastes don’t synergize  
with the 3 pm black coffee. 
I will never move my body  
to that queue of finished goods, 
my body is never finished. 

I am a WIP, work in process.
My quantities can't be expedited. 
All of my assemblies at different  
operations, at any given time. 
Even when I get close, 
when the last turning op 
is queued up and ready, 
the machine breaks. 
Then they lock me up, 
quarantine me, 
broken and unfinished. 

I am a WIP, a work in process. 
I contain multitudes of quantities
beautifully incomplete,
I refused to be expedited
to meet your deliverables.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love this! I love the contrast between the dehumanising jargon and the new meaning you have given to some words.

    ReplyDelete