Saturday, April 20, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 20...Melancholy: A Disease

I tried to write a poem that talks, but I don't know if I was successful...

Melancholy: A Disease 

Tears come from a warm place of rage, 
an incubator of flesh and blood 
little seeds all of them, planting sadness 
all over sidewalks, clothes, and bathrooms 
and that is how it spreads, 
a contagion. 
You can feel its miasma in the air, 
it clutches your breath, steals your speech. 
If you look at tears under a microscope,
you will find a journey with a million feet, 
hungry mouths, the midnight hour 
when all of the sad people beg for sleep. 
No antibiotic or rubbing alcohol can rid this disease. 
It's on all of us like yeasts and germs waiting 
to intrude through our thin skin, 
waiting to replicate itself a million times 
until the host dies, reborn as an entity, 
a blue amoeba, a parasitic sadness that feeds. 

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't feel like a talking poem, but I'm still very moved by your words. You have a unique, engaging voice. Your words make me want to pay attention.

    I appreciate what you've done with the subject matter, and it reads easy.

    ReplyDelete