Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Saveur Magazine has saved my life


I enjoy cooking and I love garlic. I put it in spaghetti and bread. I've made flat bread with garlic butter and goat cheese. Yum! I put it in chicken noodle soup and stews. I use garlic in everything. However, peeling garlic is another matter. The paper-like outer layer manages to make a mess a mile wide and then peeling every layer of each clove takes forever. But Saveur Magazine has saved my life! Yes, they posted a video in September called "How to Peel a Head of Garlic in Less Than Ten Seconds." I watched it and I used the technique while making a vegetable dish, similar to ratatouille, that needs lots of garlic. It works! I recommend everyone to try it at least once. Not only does it save time but it can release some pent up stress, too.

3 comments:

  1. No big problem as far as I'm concerned. Chop off each end with sharp knife, peel clove, pick up loose bits and put in compost container, chop clove.Now shallots, they are bothersome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, shallot are bothersome. I wonder if the technique works for shallots. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watched the video on this. A great idea. I'll have to try this. I too love garlic, but don't enjoy the peeling by hand!

    ReplyDelete