Sunday, October 16, 2011

My first post

I recently joined goodreads and I wanted to post the books that I will be reading for the 2012 reading challenge. The challenge involves reading 52 books by authors from 52 different countries. I'm pretty excited about this challenge and about broadening my horizons. I particularly want to begin reading Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon and Battle Royale.

My list is based on the author’s birthplace. However, there are a few exceptions and some of the countries have more than one book (I'm trying to keep my options open…).

Algeria:
Exile and the Kingdom
Argentina: All Night Movie
Hopscotch
The Motorcycle Diaries
Australia: The Book Thief
Austria: Metamorphosis
Belgium: Memoirs of Hadrian
Bosnia: The Bridge of the Drina
Brazil: Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon
The Alchemist
Canada: The Handmaid’s Tale
Life of Pi
Chile: Last Evenings on Earth
China: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Cuba: The Lost Steps
Czechoslovakia: The Book of Laughter and Forgetting
Dominican Republic: In the Time of Butterflies
England: Neverwhere
Ethiopia: Cutting for Stone
France: Candide
The Collected Short Stories of Colette
Georgia: The Winter Queen
Germany: Siddhartha
Greece: Zorba the Greek
Guyana: Of Marriageable age
Hungary: The Door
India: The Death of Vishnu
The God of Small Things
Iran: Persepolis
Ireland: The Picture of Dorian Grey
On Canaan’s Side
Dracula
Italy: Invisible Cities
Jamaica: Brown Girl in the Ring
Japan: Battle Royale
The Stories of Ibis
Malawi: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
Mauritius: The Last Brother
Middle East and Asia (no specific place or person): The first volume of One Thousand and One Nights
New Zealand: The Bone People
Nigeria: Things fall apart
Norway: Njal’s Saga
Peru: Zorro
Poland: Maus 1
Portugal: Blindness
Russia: Lolita
Scotland: Between the Bridge and the River
Trainspotting
Lonely Werewolf Girl
South Africa: In a Strange Room
Agaat
Spain: Don Quixote
Sweden: The girl with the dragon tattoo
The Long Ships
Switzerland: Buddenbrooks
Tasmania: Death of a River Guide
Tel Aviv: Limassol
United States (Central and Mid-western): My Antonia
United States (East Coast): Molokai
The story of a beautiful girl
United States (West Coast): Ender’s Game
Jose Builds a Woman
Vietnam: The Lotus Eaters
Yugoslavia: The Tiger’s Wife
Zimbabwe: Nervous Conditions
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

3 comments:

  1. I would also like to add The Harafish for Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Black Wings by Sehba Sarwar for Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Alchimist, Lolita and Balzac and the little Chinese seamstress, all in French though and they were all amazing! I'd have to say my favorite is Balzac and the little Chinese seamstress though, so moving!

    ReplyDelete