Saturday, April 3, 2021

Day 3 NaPoWriMo - In Harmony

For day 3, we were tasked to write 100 different words using the "Personal Universal Deck" method by Michael McClure. I found the whole exercise thought provoking. There were words that I love and use everyday and others that took more time to come, but each one was rewarding. After I wrote all 100 words on small slips of paper, I put them in a hat and drew out 8 words. The ones I chose are highlighted below:


In Harmony

Camping in the gulch, I look up and shuffle my hands to my sternum and beat them against my chest, rhythmic, in time to my heart beat, in time to my gait. I swim through the music as if it were a river, rapids and roar. I can hear whitewater drowning my ears in sound just as the echoes in slot canyons have their own voices, their own stories, bodies of melody, each one with a mouth, a nose, and eyes. Sometimes moving forward feels like moving through mud and mush, but music comes through like the silhouettes of hoodoos and arches. They hum in the night, outlined in starlight, the milky way like whip cream and silence. It slides away into every horizon and the moon quiets its glow, its soft vibration like the sound of an ending chord of a song extending out its hand to the dawn.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem. The images and sounds are soothing and universal. The writer becomes one with the surroundings. That rhythm, and those vibrations. This is gorgeous. And I love the word hoodoo. I didn't know that one! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete