Monday, May 18, 2020

Day 41 of #the100dayproject - Internal Labor


Internal Labor

I am a stethoscope of hearing,
My ear curved internally to listen
To the sound of my neck muscles
Stretching, relaxing, creaking
Like the sound of evergreens
As the wind sends them listing
Against themselves. I can hear
The sound of ear wax as it cracks
And pops, the pressure like
A release of a soda can tab,
Suction and bubbles, or plastic
Packaging, taking a whole mass
Of it in hand and wringing
Until every cell bursts at once.
All the sounds move to the rhythm
Of my blood, pulsing. My heart
Beat overshadows any other sound,
Even the engulfing wave of vibration
From my throat swallowing, the ripple
Effect of my vertebrae clicking
In my neck. My internal motions
How red and endearing, to listen
To my body glisten through its
Daily work, expanding and contracting
Itself in a routine of janitorial work
The cleaning and healing,
The endless hours of upkeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment