Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Day 8 #napowrimo #the100dayproject - Vital Self


Here's my day 8 poem for #napowrimo and my second poem for #the100dayproject2020 

For this prompt, I used the Anne Carson Twitter Bot @carsonbot for inspiration. 

Vital Self

I am ready to be dissected; dissect me.
Open up this body I call body, this vehicle
of skin over bone in all of its opacity.
The sap in me, the concentric circles
of my veins when cross sectioned,
The miles of rope inside, my mute liver,
the segments at the base of my neck.
This female mouth gathers the reddest
tongue and guttural cheek. I am not
transparent, but a shiver in the spine,
an involuntary shake, the deep muscle
gathered like a pleated skirt, hemmed
with ligament. The cavities and corners,
the blood landscapes, the patchwork
quilt of organs and fat. I am nothing
but two cloths sewn together, the
pillow without its fluff, or the doll,
porcelain and cotton, stomach empty,
naked without a bonnet and blue gown.
And like a doll, my eyes will droop,
close, when I lay down.

2 comments: