Saturday, April 11, 2020

Day 11 #napowrimo #the100dayproject - The Palace in Seville



For day 11 of napowrimo and day 5 of #the100dayproject, I was inspired by my experience in Seville, Spain at the palace of #Alcazar 

I couldn't resist including a picture I took back in December 2019 of one of the garden gates. I still can't believe that I was in Spain hardly 4 months ago and so much of the world has changed. There have now been more than 16,000 deaths in Spain alone. It saddens me how quickly things have moved and worsened. I hope this poem finds you healthy and well. I wish you the very best.




The Palace in Seville

I walked through the gate into the garden,
the myrtle plucked and trimmed
into neat hedges, unbloomed; sun warmed
resin sifting through the labyrinths of its branches.

The myrtle surrounded by fences
as if to contain its fragrance;
pith of orange; zest of lemon;
coyness of night blooming jasmine.

The whole garden built to hold it,
to keep it as long as possible,
but like sand sliding down a glass vial
or love slipping between my fingers,

its perfume maddening that I could not
cup it, each small leaf I plucked
was a shadow I could not capture;
the scent banished only to memory.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely.
    Enjoying all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, an unpleasant turn at the end. but is not the memory a gift? and is that fragrance not present here in your poem? i think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Often unspoken about flowers is how ephemeral they are. Your focus on this applying to their scent rather than their color or form is a wonderfully originally approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pith of orange; zest of lemon;
    coyness of night blooming jasmine. Such a lovely description.

    ReplyDelete