Friday, April 19, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 17...Shape

Yet again, I wrote this in my notebook on the plane from Atlanta to Hartford, CT on Wednesday, but I just typed it up.

Shape

I wonder about the cloud and the grass, 
the moon, how things round or sharp 
glisten into the open world, where can I 
find a true shape? the sour apple, 
the wheat tassel, the river bend, 
the cliff face, the moon beams of  
my fingernails. I forget sometimes 
these bones beneath my muscle, 
I forget I’m a shape, too, like a grass 
blade or a tap root. I’m a thing, an it, 
an object that moves. I have a frame, 
a fine coat of fur, if you skin me 
and collect my pieces, I could become 
a truer self, a blanket, a purse, 
an ivory inlay, something with purpose. 
I could be carved into something 
to be looked at, observed, admired, 
praised. My good bones could be 
ground up into a fine meal, and you 
could dig me in with the soil  
and give myself to root and bug. 

I wonder what my true shape is 
a beetle wing, an earth worm, 
a chrysalis, a curved ivy vine, 
the rain to wash me away. 
I forget sometimes my molecules. 
Nothing exists, no barrier between 
myself and the world, I am everything. 
I have no walls, this skin, if you look close, 
closer, it contains a sun, a galaxy, 
the stars; it contains bird wings and bird songs 
there are no borders, no lines drawn. 
It sheds itself into another self, without self. 
Assume two degrees of separation, a shape 
away from a shape, we are all given names 
fingers, toes, noses, chins, lips, good bones. 
Ocean, blue whale, mountain peak, snow 
human being. 
Shapes within shape, names within name, 
laying down our walls and fences, borders 
and lines mapped out to lay our claim, 
to define one thing from the next, 
even though we are everything. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are featured on day 23 napowrimo. your work, if you so desire, deserves a wider audience. if you visit dVerse, real toads, PAD, or other sites and post, you would gain one. ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion Grapeling,dVerse looks interesting. Do you submit to these as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! brittany tilleman

    ReplyDelete