Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Day 3 of #the100dayproject

Rose City

All those years of awe for the city, my city.
Walking down the park blocks,
I watched protesters setting camp in the grass
under the cedars heavy with rain.
Occupy Wallstreet in the Pacific Northwest.
I would take the tram into the Pearl to find
abandoned warehouses turned into shoppes
and five-star bars and restaurants.
The bookstore on Burnside 
still rough on the outside, but inside
color and gloss to appeal to Raleigh Hill clientele.
I was a college girl who stopped at the smoke shop 
and leafed through the lit mags smelling of tobacco. 
I could never afford to buy any of them.

Now that I’m back, the store smells more like e-cigarettes 
than cigars, its windows broken by the riots,
boarded up by rain-soaked plywood.
I used to think anything was possible.
I used to find inspiration in the rain 
and in the graffiti on the brick buildings.
But now I realize ‘possible’ is anywhere I am; possible is in me.
When I left those years ago, I found what I was capable of.
I found myself to worship, day after day I built myself from the ground up. 
Nothing in life is easy, but when I visit an old place 
I look back at who I was and who I am,
and I’ve found that I’m always the sum of both parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment